Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Beverly Daniel Tatum - Questions

March 12. 2008
SWK254.N – Understanding Diverse Populations
Professor Mayra Lopez-Humphreys
Journal 6

What can I influence?
In October 2006, my family and I moved out of a middle class neighborhood in Brooklyn into what is seemingly a lower class neighborhood in Queens. My reason for this analysis is my recent observations of my new neighborhood. I find it rather strange that I did not notice these things when first moving there. My only focus was the 2-family home that we were moving into, in which I really like. What I have noticed is that there is only one bank (CitiBank) located on a 10-12 mile main boulevard in the entire neighborhood. There are plenty of bodegas, bars, Chinese and Soul food restaurants and liquor stores. It is a neighborhood filled a minority population of Middle Eastern Indians, Latinos and African Americans. There is exceedingly poor bus service, and mostly ancient and minimal updated buses serving the neighborhood. What amazes me about the area is the difference in simply crossing the Boulevard. On one side of the Boulevard are homes, some brand new, some old, and a few dilapidated. On the other side of the boulevard are apartment buildings and some homes. I believe that the apartment buildings are considered projects. Almost everyday, I witness many oppressed and depressed looking people. Some of them appear to be strung out on drugs, or something else. I see young and old men and ladies hanging out in front of the bodegas on the boulevard.
As I think of my new location and ask myself what can I influence; I would like to try and find a way to encourage people to stand up for what rightfully belongs to them. As an example, recently, I found myself waiting for a bus for over 45 minutes. It was a cold, windy and rainy Saturday morning, and there was no bus shelter to stand underneath to protect me from the horrendous weather. When a bus finally arrived, I asked the driver why he was running late, he said that he was on time. (According to the bus schedule, it seemed that he was correct, if that was indeed his scheduled time) I then asked did he know what happened to the bus before him and he did not. I inquired about a number to call in complaints. He suggested that I do just that. Afterwards, needless to say as the other patrons boarded the bus frustrated, wet and tired of waiting as well, while boarding the bus began to complain. In the driver’s defense, I told them that his bus was on time. It was the one prior bus to his that did not come. I mentioned that we could complain to each other for the remainder of the day and get no results. However, it would be more beneficial if we were to call the MTA and file our complaints. After all we are paying customers and deserve quality service.

How am I making this a more equitable environment?

I try making my neighborhood a more equitable environment by being kind and fair to everyone that I meet. I try not to ostracize any population. Although, I will admit that when I first saw the Middle Eastern Indians, it caused me some reluctance in different ways, because 911 and the present war that we are involved in is always on my mind. And I am constantly reminded of those things whenever I see this particular population. I often wonder whether or not they could be some of the people who are involved in the acts of terrorism and whether their stores help to support the terrorist activities. I try really hard to put these thoughts aside and support those in my community. Because I came to realize that the lack of support would cause businesses to move away from the neighborhood. And that would not be good for the neighborhood. When I first moved there, I would always go back to my old neighborhood to do my shopping. However, I don’t want to have a hand in denying my neighborhood opportunities to prosper, because I would prefer to see it thrive, rather than decline. Therefore, I will choose to do my part to help.

Who is included in this picture and who isn’t, who has had opportunities in my environment and who hasn’t?

As previously mentioned, there are Middle Eastern Indians, Latinos and African Americans in my neighborhood. There are very few whites that remain. I have not been here very long, and it is hard to say who has and have not had opportunities in my neighborhood. I would imagine that if there were whites that lived here and had they not left, the neighborhood would probably be considered a prime location in the city. The area is within a 15-minute radius of both JFK and LaGuardia airports. Which means that it is near all the major hotels. It has a major artery boulevard that connects to three major highways (the Vanwyck Expressway, Belt Parkway and the Conduit). It is approximately fifteen minutes to Green Acres Shopping Mall. It has one of the best and most reliable subway lines in the city. (The A train) I would imagine the minorities have not had many opportunities because when the white people left, 95% of their opportunities went with them (businesses, affordable and better housing). The neighborhood seems to have become a neighborhood that the city has forgotten. It’s possible that businesses and quality of education left with the population.

What can I do about that?

The first thing that I can do is to be prayerful. This neighborhood could definitely use some godly intervention. Even with all the churches that are located there, there is such a darkness (oppression) that rests over the neighborhood. I would imagine that I could do some research and find a way to become an advocate for my neighborhood. Maybe write letters to the state senators and congress. I could try and get other people in the neighborhood involved. Help them to see and to believe that they can restore life to the neighborhood. Help to find a peaceful way to stand up and fight. I could try and find positive ways to bring attention to our neighborhoods, so that the politicians would take notice and become involved as well. And honestly speaking now would be the best time to do just that, considering that we are in the season of presidential elections and they are hungry for votes.

1 comment:

SWK 254 Understanding Diversity said...

Hello Perce,

You express a commitment to sharing your experience,knowledge and compassion within your neighborhood. I think that's a great place to begin. Be bold in planning & praying about the venues in which this will occur.

Joy,
MLH