Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Journal 2 - Strange Encounters

January 30, 2008
SWK254.N – Understanding Diverse Populations
Professor Mayra Lopez-Humphreys
Journal 2

What are your most common thoughts and feelings when you encounter people who are different from yourself?
My thoughts and reactions tend to vary whenever I encounter people that are different from myself. I.e., if they are Caucasian, I usually try and sense any prejudice behavior. Should I sense this behavior, my conversations are usually on the defense. I want them to know that I am not just another black woman who stays at home and wait for a welfare check and food stamps as a means of survival. They must know that I do not have a house filled with children with different daddies. I inform them that I am a workingwoman and have always worked. I give them my working background and highlight the fact that I have held some good positions in some rather prestigious firms. I want them to know that I am a married and have only two children who are doing something productive with their lives.
Whenever I encounter unbelievers, I try to be sensitive to the fact that they cannot comprehend God-talk. This takes a lot for me because it seems that the majority of my conversations in someway or another focuses towards God.
If I encounter someone who is handicap, I tend to feel sympathetic towards him or her. I usually feel the need to do something to help them. I want to go the extra mile to show that they are important to me, and that I am concerned and I care.
If the individual is of a higher status, i.e., President, Vice President CEO, CFO etc., I tend to be very cautious of my speech and my behavior. I make sure that I cross every t and dot every i. Otherwise, I fear that I will be looked down upon.

Percelene MCLain

2 comments:

SWK 254 Understanding Diversity said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SWK 254 Understanding Diversity said...

Your honesty demonstrates a level of introspection that is a gift. It will serve both you and your clients well. Your journal has been received and 2 points have been credited. It was great chatting with you yesterday evening.

Joy,
MLH